Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Just Do It

When your trainer tells you to do something, it pays to do it. My trainer told me that I need to feed Kimi by hand to get him to perform faster. I'm pretty lazy so I didn't do it. Last week in class, Kimi did a few things and then just laid on his mat for the rest of class. My trainer said he wasn't hungry. He hasn't associated food with work or fun yet.

For dinner that day, I took his kibble outside and we worked. I've been trying to get Kimi onto the table and he just didn't want to. So I put the kibble on the table and he eventually reached over to get the food. When he put a paw on the table, I said Yes and we kept going. He had all four paws on the table by the end.

Last night Kimi did a few tricks and then bunch of cars went by. Kimi ran to the deck and hid behind a chair. I sat there and waited and waited. The dog next door barked and Kimi came flying. After that we did the table like pros. He got on and stayed until I said Free. Shortly, he was driving ahead of me to the table and then we finished with a Down. Such joy to see him blossom. He makes me smile every day.

So I guess all those alphabets after my trainer's name actually mean something.

Our sound sensitivity training continues too. Trying to isolate his issues and it appears to be high-pitched squeeks. Bad brakes is a big one. On Fridays, he has associated the garbage bins with the trucks, so he will not leave the house. Saturdays he is fine. I need to play the sound CD more often, as my trainer suggested. OK I get it now. I'll do whatever she says.

I was feeling sorry for myself that I got yet another dog with issues, but then I realized that most dogs have some issue and I just need to man up. I've been through so much with my dogs and Kimi is now benefitting from all that I've learned. I just need to do it.

No comments: