Monday, July 02, 2012

Every Two Months

It's been two months since Maggie and I competed. Time sure flies. We acquired Kimi and I almost broke my foot in the hiatus.

Friday we all headed up to Belton. The first show in the domed arena and I didn't have a clue what to expect. It turned out to be a great event. The A/C was fabulous. The surface not so much. The 4/8 inch dogs ran and then my 12 inch group pitched a fit over the surface. I didn't know what was going on, so I was waiting at the gate to run as we were pretty close to the top of the list. Waiting. Waiting. What the hell is going on. Finally, an announcement. Run or don't run. We don't care. Man was the negative energy heavy around the ring. All because of a few people. Finally got to run, and Maggie was flying!  Blew the down side of the dog walk. People said she got it, but who knows. I do know that the Judge was pretty upset over the hubbub about the surface. In jumpers, I ran like an idiot trying not to trip on the ruts, so Maggie was pretty slow. We didn't Q in either run.

Kimi became a bit of an issue. He seemed so frightened to be outside. Not sure, but I think it was the sound of traffic. He suddenly became afraid of big trucks after hearing the garbage truck let out a very loud hiss. I also noticed that one of his canines was at a right angle to his mouth, just hanging there. A fellow sheltie lover tried to pull it out, but it was still attached. One more day he told me and it fell out that night.

Shane was great. I try to take him over the practice jumps a few times, but could never find a good spot. At one point, we were climbing the stairs in the arena, and he stopped at the top for a treat like he had just navigated a course. Too cute.

The surface on Saturday was much better. Maggie Q'd in Standard, but still too slow in Jumpers. Kimi got to visit with a lot of people, but I didn't make him go outside. Luckly, my day was short so he got home in plenty of time to potty. We have to work on this fear.

Sunday, I had very high hopes. Left Shane and Kimi home so I could concentrate on Maggie. Just one more Q for Maggie's MX and sure enough I blew it. I worried too much about getting into place for a front cross and she ran past a jump. Jumpers was painfully slow, but the course time was very generous. We Q'd with no points.

Two months until the next show. Maggie needs to lose a few pounds as do I. Kimi has to get over his fear of trucks. Busy summer ahead.

No comments: